Saturday, January 5, 2019

Vision

http://brookeshaden.com/gallery/?title=paper_wings
Art is fascinating. Believing we have something to say, something to share, that's the way to create a vision, an intention. Staying open to the possibility that I might have something to say, and that it has a right to be created, that's the hard part for me.

I'm a great mimic. Well, to an extent. What I mean is, I can happily copy the idea that some other artist came up with and put my own amateur spin on it. But to come up with my own idea and to believe in it enough to allow it to fully be created? That's what I'm struggling with. What do I want to say? And then, how can I say it?

Where does inspiration come from? Where is my well of insight? I don't have dark thoughts that I am bursting to express. I am generally a happy person, optimistic and pragmatic. Pretty conventional. I tend to be sort of shallow in my thinking. Corporate. Academic. Basic. Boring. (bluuggg!)

If I were to paint about something I LOVE, I might paint flowers -- riotous flowers like Carmelo does. I had so much fun painting my kiddo's portraits, and the faces of my friends. I love painting expressions. I love cooking, but I don't want to paint food. I love gardens, but I don't think I want to paint landscapes...but I've never really tried. Maybe I should try that for a bit?

I love the idea of independence and strength. Powerful softness. Organized chaos. What would that manifest as on a canvas? How do I channel that and create flow -- trust my vision enough to let it flow -- to create something that I'm really proud of.  Something original, of my own making. Something capable of moving people to an emotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Breakthrough

Today was a tough yoga class. For whatever reason Shannon was intent on pushing our limits more than normal - I had to really work to get ...