Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Friends with Myself


Got hit with a couple messages today, and I found them very synchronistic with the post I put up 2 days ago. When I was challenging myself with what this is all for, this blogging thing.

The first message I heard today was during a podcast that I randomly selected from Lewis Howes (love his episodes) called "Small Changes for Lasting Results." It was a short one, just long enough for me to listen to in the shower. The message? "Journaling is a cleansing process. It's a get-to-know-yourself process."

How's that for a fast answer from the universe?

Lewis went on to share that "if you take time to write, reflect, and learn about yourself, you can learn to celebrate what makes you great." And the guest of the episode highlighted a key takeaway from his work: You can't be anything you want, but you can be everything you are. - @jayshettyiw

Okay, so this "journaling" on this blog is helping me sort out who I am, what I think about, what I care about, and eventually, get me to my why - which is my purpose. It's a good darn plan.

The second message I heard today was during a webinar from the guy who founded Elephant Journal (which I adore). I signed up for this free lesson on becoming an independently published author (baby steps) and he (Waylon Lewis) said this:  Make Friends With Yourself.  Figure out your voice, what you care about, what your intention is. Because when we are genuine, we are credible. When we are genuine, we connect with people. He quoted Robin William's character in Dead Poet Society, "What will your verse be?" He was also explicit at one point and said to use a personal blog for yourself, to explore your interests. The other blog is for promoting and sharing. But the personal one, that's for you.

So what does it mean to be a friend to myself.

“A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself.” – Jim Morrison.

So all of this, it's all the right thing. At the right time. I am finding what my verse will be. And everything is okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Breakthrough

Today was a tough yoga class. For whatever reason Shannon was intent on pushing our limits more than normal - I had to really work to get ...