Friday, December 21, 2018

12 page menu


I hate these. Hard enough to sort out what to order, especially when I arrive at a restaurant STARVING. A good restaurant will pare down the options, because they want to be exceptional at those few items they offer.

I'm feeling like a 12 page menu these days. I have trouble paring down to those select few things that I want to be exceptional at. In my consultancy, what is the key service that I want to offer? What is my main focus? What is my mission and purpose, guiding my work and helping clients get behind what I do? I can't even explain it well to people. This is extremely frustrating, because I don't want to pick the "wrong" thing and then miss out on opportunities that I could very well tackle.

This is not abundance thinking. It's fear-based, that if I pick the wrong things to focus on, there won't be enough opportunity to keep my consultancy going. And that will affect my family and the lifestyle goals that we have. Aaaach!!

My big problem is a lack of authenticity. This work is "should" stuff. Stuff I know from my professional experience. Stuff I'm good at because I've done it for so long.  But it isn't the stuff I would chose to do if I could choose anything. Isn't that the way it is with all of us, though? Isn't that why there are "I'd rather be fishing" bumper stickers?

I want to line up my passion with my consulting, so it all becomes clear. A polarizing lens on this 12 page menu to blur out the stuff that isn't compelling and pull into focus those few bits that I can really grow into a strong offering. My gut will have to be the guide here, because clearly I can't trust my head to sort through all these options. Might as well send me to a Cheesecake Factory while my blood sugar is plummeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Breakthrough

Today was a tough yoga class. For whatever reason Shannon was intent on pushing our limits more than normal - I had to really work to get ...