Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Softer Pursuit of Perfection


Perfectionism hasn't been my issue, although my husband may argue that point. I have a fair ability to run with risk, to adapt to chaos. 80% right works well for me.

So why am I writing about perfection. I really liked something I heard recently about just giving ourselves a break. Not being so hard-lined with ourselves when we aren't perfect or when something really goes all to hell. That resonated really loud for me and I want to think more about it.

Here's a yoga analogy again. When you're in a super deep stretching pose, say pigeon or something, it's a struggle. Your muscles are saying, "Can't!!!" and your mind is saying, "But come on!" and you have to surrender to it and relax into the pose, letting go of the struggle. You have to soften into it, soften into the muscles and joints where there's tension, and breathe into those places. When you soften, you move more easily into the best version of the pose. Again, a balance of effort and ease.

I love the idea of softening to allow for smoother progress. So often it feels like I need to battle my way forward, to dig in and carve out. Hard edged, armored. And that creates struggle. It doesn't make it easier. And when I'm frustrated with myself for falling short, the conversation in my head is brutal. No mercy.

If I can take a softer route, follow a softer pursuit of perfection and expectation, then I will be kinder to myself (and those around me) and will be calmer and probably more clear-headed. I might see possibilities more easily. I might find a bit of grace for myself.

Breathing my way forward and softening the hard-edged battle-axe task-master persona might actually make me more productive and will definitely make me more balanced.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Breakthrough

Today was a tough yoga class. For whatever reason Shannon was intent on pushing our limits more than normal - I had to really work to get ...