Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Political Commentator


Election day today. In the midst of a mercurial political season. Nationalism and dehumanizing aside, I find myself empathetic for both sides of this battle. I know incredibly brilliant and compassionate people on both the right and the left, and yes I am the muddy middle, always struggling, it seems, to sift my way through the issues and find my own ground.

I envy the totality and certainty of their opinions - but I wince at the way they throw them at each other. The lessons of the school yard, where the first push is followed by the second in return, and so on until there's a bloody mess and everybody has to take sides, these lessons are forgotten. The trenches go deeper as they undercut each other's value. Nobody is listening. Do they think they are teaching each other? Do they think they are winning the debate and convincing the other side? Why are they so shocked that there is this divide?

I love how BrenĂ© Brown addresses this - when I heard her talking about it I was like, "YES!! Yes, if only we could all hold this closer!" She asks for us all to just try and be more curious. Curiosity is vulnerability, and yes, that takes courage, but it is an opener of the mind. And the mind leads our actions. There is possibility in that, to have a conversation, to ask questions that seek understanding, to find common ground. Then real work can be done, real forward progress. She reminds us we can't come across all high-and-mighty and be heard. We have to be authentic, and assertive, when calling out something that we know isn't right.  But we don't have to be judgmental or hateful.

There is a niche group of people, both in the US and in the broader world, who feel threatened and cheated and powerless. And they are mad. Royally pissed. Do you think shoving them in the school yard is going to "fix them" and show them how to be happy as part of this melting pot society? It's just making it worse. So much worse. It gives them further evidence of their personal truth. So they will fight back, harder, and more violently.  Terrifying, this spiral that we're witnessing (and fueling).

Coddle them? No. Excuse their discrimination? No. But find ways to understand their weak position, the root of their hate, and diffuse it? Yes. This is what all our passion and focus and energy has to focus on. Demonizing them isn't taking the higher ground. It's throwing gasoline on the fire. I want to see articles on how we can diffuse this hate. Actively.

All of this weighs heavily on me today, as I prep to go cast my vote. My single point of light that I get to contribute.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Breakthrough

Today was a tough yoga class. For whatever reason Shannon was intent on pushing our limits more than normal - I had to really work to get ...