Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Habits


The stuff that gets in the way. Or the stuff that helps push me toward what my goals are. I haven't really thought about my habits.

Lately, I have a habit of going to yoga a lot.  I feel like that's a great habit. It's created amazing balance in my body, strength, and a sense of real accomplishment and capability. My body is very capable. But is this work getting in the way...? A diversion? Too much time taken for this practice?

I also have a habit of reading a lot. Again, good stuff I'm reading, learning about new concepts and gaining inspiration. But is it sabotaging my progress on the "what the hell do I do now" career front? Am I escaping into books?

When I was still a bit new in my last role, my VP stopped by and took notice of the weeble wobble on my desk. I had her there as a reminder that I might stumble, take a few hits, but I would also rise back up, resilient.  He considered my explanation, and then placed her down on the desk on her side and spun her around. She spun there, dizzyingly, and his point was made.  Lots of spinning. No forward momentum. (Note: my boss was a bit of a dick, yes, but he was extremely brilliant and quite to the point).

Am I the spinning weeble wobble? Busy busy busy all day, week after week, but not making any significant progress? What habits can I kick, and what habits do I need to develop to gain more traction toward what I want? And have I even been clear about what the hell I want in the first place?

Let's start there, for cripe sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Breakthrough

Today was a tough yoga class. For whatever reason Shannon was intent on pushing our limits more than normal - I had to really work to get ...