Thursday, November 22, 2018

The Art of Grace


I'm fascinated by graceful people. Gracious people. They hold the keys to ease and comfort in themselves and in the world. Watching grace in action is riveting. Inspiring.

I'm laying here with a gut full of Thanksgiving blessings and not feeling graceful AT ALL. But I can still bring to mind images of gymnasts, dancers, tennis players, actors who glide along like they're covered in smooth scales. The Ultimate Cool. Sarah Kaufman wrote this book, The Art of Grace, and I've read it twice now. She articulated the idea for me that our brain is all about movement.

We think our brain is for thinking, but it's true purpose is to help our bodies move, to run our physical systems. That's why it feel so damn good to move, to flow, to dance... Our brain is like, "Yes! Finally! I get to do what I'm meant to do and get away from this damn computer!"  And we love watching movement, fluid effortless (graceful) motion in others because our brain participates in that movement and we can imagine ourselves moving that same way. And it feels good.

Graciousness is similar; a social form of grace that makes everything flow more easily. I love this just as much (probably because I SUCK at it) and aspire to be gracious and help those around me to feel a sense of ease and flow.

It's a lovely art that I want to practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Breakthrough

Today was a tough yoga class. For whatever reason Shannon was intent on pushing our limits more than normal - I had to really work to get ...