Saturday, November 10, 2018

A Gallery of Friends


Tonight was a personal breakthrough for me. An arrival at a milestone. Months of work, creative work, using my hands, very personal emotional work, was put on display. A mini portrait showcase, like a gallery opening (on display for one night only !), in our home. My friends, people who have been so amazingly supportive, did sittings for me and got to see, for the first time tonight, the result.

I didn't want to disappointment them. But the risk was low because they are so full of affection for me. They were going to be cheerleaders no matter what. And yet...I was a bundle of nerves all day as I prepped for this event. And when the clock struck five I was a sweating mess of nervousness. I was exposed, vulnerable, and putting my creative work up in front of people - in a spotlight. Look at me! Look at what I made! Holy Moses it was terrifying.

And now it's done, and all the months of effort are finished, and my portraits of my lovely friends have scattered off to their new homes.  I hope they continue to feel my gratitude when they look at their portraits. Because my favorite part of this process has been seeing them all together, all lined up in a row, a gallery of friends whom I've spent hours studying and doing my best to capture.  The next work I do won't have the same collective energy...it will require new energy, a new intention. But I'm not sure where that will take me yet. So for tonight, as I ease my way out of this super exciting and self-indulgent event, I will just enjoy the privilege I had of painting this amazing group of beautiful humans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Breakthrough

Today was a tough yoga class. For whatever reason Shannon was intent on pushing our limits more than normal - I had to really work to get ...