Tuesday, January 15, 2019

The Shoes I Wear



I spend most of my days now in "soft clothes" - clothes that are fine for kid drop offs, for grocery shopping, yoga practice, and working in my home office. When I head out for networking sessions or meetings, it feels like a dramatic makeover - my hair is styled, my pants have a zipper, my sweater is knit, and I'm not wearing clogs. And I walk taller. I have a bit of a strut as I head down the street after parking my vehicle.

The click of dress shoes on pavement brings me a crisp sense of purpose.

Dressing for success has always been something I've taken to heart. Not the fanciest dresser in the room, no, but always a bit of polish in the work setting. It feels good. It feels organized and assertive. Even when things started getting more and more casual at work, I was never the one in jeans or cargo pants. It didn't feel right. When I go to an office or a presentation or a conference, I dress like I run the department. And when the CEO drops by, I never feel like I'm under dressed.

So, earlier this week I started the normal routine of work, kids to school, work, and then I gifted myself with 45 minutes of yoga on my mat at home. It'd been several days since I'd had the chance to go to the studio, so I was desperate for some yoga therapy. I took a shower, and then for some reason I opted to put on a real pair of pants (with a zipper ya'll) and a decent sweater. I felt so....fresh. So trim and tailored. It was more the contrast, probably, to my usual uniform. But I felt great.

When I left to pick up the kids later, I wore a nice pair of boots. And my stride was long and deliberate. I felt masterful. Steady. Smooth.

My lovely friend L told me she feels better in a good pair of shoes. She has a smoother stride and better posture. I completely get that. The shoes I wear, the way I connect myself to the earth, sets the mood for the way I present myself to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Breakthrough

Today was a tough yoga class. For whatever reason Shannon was intent on pushing our limits more than normal - I had to really work to get ...