Thursday, January 3, 2019

Promises Promises


I've made several declarations along this blogway. One of which was to make January a vegan month.

Mister Bloom Quest is none too happy about this. But to his credit, he devoured a couple falafel pitas for dinner tonight and went on about how good they were. Tomorrow he's cooking lamb chops. I'll be making a chickpea curry to go with them. And we'll meet in the middle somewhere.

I tend to be more of a middle ground person, in general. Bandwagons turn me off. And I'm not one to rock the boat in the other direction because, frankly, logic doesn't support the extremes. Take veganism. I believe it's important to shift our typical American diets to be more healthy. Veganism wins on all fronts: better for our bodies, better for our planet. Logic wins there. But am I determined to shift the food system through vegan activism?  Sorry, but nope. I'm not that dedicated. I think reducing consumption of animal products is awesome. And I think every now and again an egg or some meat is okay too. Balance is my motto. And in this case, it takes a whole lot more fruit and vegetable to balance out the animal scale.

That's an interesting thing I've noticed about myself over the years. As emotional as I am, I am definitely swayed by logic. Strongly. And I find that the middle tends to balance the emotional aspects that define the context, with the logical aspects that give an idea traction. I like the middle.

Taking it back to topic (Promises), I declared veganism for a month. And I'm going to do my best to keep to it. Not on principle, but on the challenge that I think I will see a real difference in how my body feels if I can stick to it for a whole month. And I'll learn some cool new recipes and how to use some new ingredients (had to learn today what the heck garam masala is).

Other promises made were around Adventure, Gratitude, Abundance, Writing a Book, Reconnecting, Sketch Journaling, Painting, Scheduled Focus... Man, I'm going to be busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Breakthrough

Today was a tough yoga class. For whatever reason Shannon was intent on pushing our limits more than normal - I had to really work to get ...