Monday, December 17, 2018

Metta


This is a new word for me. I haven't studied Buddhism, but yoga tends to expose you to these concepts as part of a peaceful, loving practice that balances mind and body.

Metta means Loving Kindness. That is awesome.  And the "how" of metta is beautiful:

Be capable, upstanding, easy to talk to, gentle, humble. Be content. Live simply. Accept support from others easily, without being a burden. Prudent, courteous. Composed and serene (yes!). Wish happiness for all beings. No deceit or hate. Protect and cherish all others. Radiate boundless love over the entire world.

In all of this is the mantra I look at every day: I am loving, calm and relaxed. In this is also a beautiful forgiveness - a letting go. An allowance for abundance and light.

*Note: I am feeling really hokey right now - this stuff isn't the typical conversation I have in my day.*

If you don't fill up your day with good stuff, then it gets filled with all sorts of other stuff that you didn't intend. So I want to fill my days with great stuff. And keeping metta in front of me, as an awareness, is something that will help me do that. And the more great stuff I can fill up with, the more great stuff I can give away.

Allowing patience with myself will allow me patience with my family. Forgiving myself will help me find the grace to forgive others. And doing more volunteering, making an impact in the real lives of other people who aren't nearly as fortunate as I am, that is KEY to my building metta in this life. I will forgive myself for not having done more in the past - and look to how I can be helpful going forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Breakthrough

Today was a tough yoga class. For whatever reason Shannon was intent on pushing our limits more than normal - I had to really work to get ...