Wednesday, December 12, 2018

A bit of Opposite


I love trying new things. Especially local, artistic, low risk things. This evening I got to exercise my play muscles in a super fun Drink and Draw class with a MASTER of botanical drawing. She's incredible.

And instead of a broad, flat brush splooshed with paint, we were each armed with an ultra fine point ink pen. Crazy different from what I've been practicing. But it was totally for fun, and to learn (!) about how to attempt realistic renderings of natural items you'd find on a hike behind my house was a great stretch for building my eye, seeing shadows and texture.

I got a hand cramp halfway through.  And I didn't give up! Tried to remember to relax, as much as you can relax when you're fine-pointing your way around a winter berry... And the end result is lovely. Not awesome, but not offensive. Lovely. And a great memory of another deliberate side step into a new space. (the pic is her berry twig, by the way - not mine)

There's an intriguing book out about Right Brain thinking as a required practice for success in this age of Conceptualism. The skills you need in this age are about design, empathy, and starting with psychology instead of technology. I am naturally inclined to think about design, in everything. Exercising this design skill can only help me leverage my right brain advantage with clients, uncovering the story and guiding the design elements to bring real value to my projects. Plus I just love that stuff.

Carmelo told us that drawing is the best place to start as an artist. Rendering what you see with sketches. Understanding lines and shadows and the space between the space. I used to draw all the time as a child, and now my drawing muscles are pretty badly atrophied. But I love drawing, so I think I'll pick up the suggestion from this evening and start a sketch journal...see where that takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Breakthrough

Today was a tough yoga class. For whatever reason Shannon was intent on pushing our limits more than normal - I had to really work to get ...