Monday, November 19, 2018

Gettin' on my Gratitude


Yes, this is on trend (it's the week of Thanksgiving). And it's key to creating peace and love.

I had started (another) gratitude journal a while back. My lovely friend Beth suggested it as part of a daily meditation out of Harvard, including actual meditation, exercise, random acts of kindness and journaling on gratitude. I think that might have been the 5th time I'd started a gratitude journal... I don't seem to stick with it. I'm good for a few days, maybe even a couple weeks, and then I forget to be thankful.  At least in my book.

But driving down the road I find myself deliberately thinking how amazing it is to live in this town, our neighborhood, with my incredible little family, and and and -- those thoughts light me up. They're easy to conjure up, I just have to be mindful. In the car, driving, it seems to come naturally. It's all the other times, when I'm pinging around like a pinball, that I do not practice this. And practice makes better. Builds a strong habit.

I love that there is a day dedicated to giving thanks. When we fill up with gratitude, we fill with peace. Contentment. A moment of no-fuss. When we fill up with gratitude, we experience love in the most joyful sense. Gratitude is so powerful, and I take it for granted. Along with all these blessings in my daily life. Getting caught up in what I want - what is out of reach - what I'm striving for, that makes me so tired these days. I think this week, filling up (gorging) on gratitude (peace! love!) is great medicine. And might even help foster a habit of gratitude that will keep me fed going forward.

[and getting full of gratitude will help me to be more giving, which is a BIG intention of mine. i'll leave that for another post.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Breakthrough

Today was a tough yoga class. For whatever reason Shannon was intent on pushing our limits more than normal - I had to really work to get ...