Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Stories Worth Telling


When I was in high school and especially college, I was painfully aware of my lack of stories. I didn't have any cool stories of misadventure or daring or mystery. And I wanted them, desperately.

So I started building my stories. And no, they weren't really that edgy (I'm far too midwestern to join in on the naked stranger cliff diving outside Sedona or the beach-side hippie orgy in Big Sur - I was just happy to have been invited), but they were mine and I was in build mode.  I look back and think, not bad. Tried some stuff (jumped out of an airplane), did some things (took a global job and traveled to Europe and Asia), and I'm super happy with my domesticated life - I don't mope past windows yearning for a life I somehow feel I missed out on or am being held back from.

But.

I want to use up this life with experiences, with learning, with experiments and adventures. In 2019 I want to create a story that will stay with me the rest of my life. I want to do something daring and maybe a little crazy. I want to stretch and risk. I'm opening this door in my mind, and I KNOW that means something will come strutting through. It always does when I crack it open. I will turn 46 in 2019. Before I turn 50 I want to set the stage for a life of adventures, of great tales to tell. I want to make stories my new habit. Staying organized feels good, but it's BORING.

I don't want boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Breakthrough

Today was a tough yoga class. For whatever reason Shannon was intent on pushing our limits more than normal - I had to really work to get ...