Saturday, December 1, 2018

"Loose Brush Work - You Go Girl"


Amazing compliment I received from an incredible artist. And I really love that she got that from looking at my painting, because that has been my entire goal. Loosen up! Flow! None of this cramped, tight, restricted poking with a paintbrush. That never felt good, never looked good. I don't have the talent to pull off fine brushwork. Give me a big flat brush and force me to focus on movement and shadow. That was the genius of Carmelo, and why it's so amazing that I ended up in his workshop - that was the hand of a higher power. Really crazy to think through how I found Carmelo -- completely by chance (destiny?).

I had an experience yesterday that seemed to parallel this. I gave in to something and didn't try to structure it, just followed my instincts and it was wonderful. It was powerful. And the person I was with picked up on my trueness, my authenticity in that moment, which created a stronger connection.

What if I could do that all the time?  It was relaxed, it wasn't negative -- I fear my instinctive responses so much but this was all good. It came from a place of self, a place of calm.

I believe that the more I paint in this new way, the more it will grow as a practice in my life, beyond painting, and become more available to me all the time. This is a FANTASTIC excuse to paint more. 😆

No comments:

Post a Comment

Breakthrough

Today was a tough yoga class. For whatever reason Shannon was intent on pushing our limits more than normal - I had to really work to get ...