Monday, December 24, 2018

Anticipation


I love the day before.  Before an important event, a big holiday like Christmas, the arrival of a loved one. That feeling must be a very human feeling. Our brains know what's coming, but it isn't cerebral - it's an all over feeling. Can take over. Wash over. Even overwhelm.

I love the build before Christmas, always have. And now that I have young children who eagerly anticipate the magic of Christmas morning, I'm full-on emotional investment in getting the magic in full swing.

I almost love the day before more than the actual day -- there's something so intensified and rich and electric about the day before. And the day of, while joyful, feels a bit like sand slipping through an hour glass, bittersweet.

Must be wisdom that comes with age...that comes with years of experiencing the cycle of anticipation and watching how quickly the days slide past. Wanting to slow it down. Dragging fingers over every soft moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Breakthrough

Today was a tough yoga class. For whatever reason Shannon was intent on pushing our limits more than normal - I had to really work to get ...