Saturday, November 17, 2018

Movement and Mindfulness


Or, alternatively: Craving Activity and Seeking Silence. This is the yin yang of my days -- I really am not good at just "being." I battle a sense of depression when I can't look over my shoulder and check-box a bunch of productivity. But sometimes (like right this minute, as my 5 year old booms around the house behind me) all I want is a moment of silence, to sit and observe, or just read or take a nap (I never nap) and it's like I just need a sip of peace.

What an interesting quest - looking for balance, looking for the right mix of effort and ease. While I'm "at ease" I'm looking for effort, and while "in effort," I'm looking for ease. Pretty sure I have this all wrong.

The only place I find the two working well together is in the yoga studio, and sometimes (sometimes) in my mini-studio (my slice of heaven, mine-all-mine).

Being in a flow is an amazing thing. When I'm parenting, I know it requires a robust pre-mix of sleep, nutrition, and intention. Then I have a real shot at being the Loving, Calm and Relaxed parent I want to be. If I'm tired, it's a struggle. If I haven't eaten right, good luck. And if I forget intention and auto-pilot is on, forget about it.

In work mode, I need the kids to be away at school or I can't string 15 minutes of thought together and it's a big mess. No good for my work, and rotten for my family.

Yoga class is like prescription medicine. Permission to partake + Tangible health benefits. Unlike meds, though, I comply with this regimen willingly and with aplomb. I LOVE it. As in, CRAVE it like a recreational drug. Because it gives me both movement and mindfulness; in fact the two require each other. And after yoga I feel like a gazillion bucks.

So -- the lesson here? Being present physically (movement, breath) and mentally (intention) is the ultimate success factor for being the parent I want to be (Loving, Calm and Relaxed) and to create productive work that I want to achieve. And to be the life partner I want to be for the amazing man I share my family with.  [Post Script: Chapter 2, 3 & 4 cover the "How" -- which includes staying fit, eating well, remembering to BREATHE, and keeping my happy mantra front and center in my mind (I am Loving, Calm and Relaxed)].

No comments:

Post a Comment

Breakthrough

Today was a tough yoga class. For whatever reason Shannon was intent on pushing our limits more than normal - I had to really work to get ...